white beans and greens
Greens, Beans and Mushrooms
By Holly Shelowitz, Culinary Nutrition Educator and Certified Nutrition Counselor
1 large bunch of collard greens, washed
1 medium onion cut into half moons
6 shitake or 12 crimini mushrooms, thickly sliced
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 12oz can of white beans, drained
1 Tbsp tamari soy sauce
Sprinkle of nutritional yeast
- Place 5-6 leaves of collard greens on top of eachother and roll up so you can chop them together. Slice very thinly, then run your knife across again to make bite sized pieces.
- In a large heavy bottomed soup pot, add olive oil with onions to sauté. After 5 minutes or so, add the mushrooms and a few splashes of water, allowing the mushrooms to simmer and release their juices.
- Add the drained white beans and the greens, and drizzle tamari on the top.
- Pour in a few more splashes of stock/water and cover to simmer until the greens are tender (about 6-7 minutes
- Sprinkle nutritional yeast on top just before serving. Taste and adjust, adding more soy sauce if desired