Soup for Breakfast? You Betcha!
Enjoying a bowl of warming soup is common in Japan and as the weather cools, I encourage you to try it and see how it feels. Making it the day before will help with ease and timing and keep it simple when you’re trying to get out the door. These are two of my faves- Green Velvet Soup and 10 minute Broccoli Black Bean Soup. Top with an egg or grated cheese to add protein. There’s lots of room for variations- let me know how it goes!
Ten minute Black Bean and Broccoli Soup
1 head broccoli cut into pieces
1 can black beans- or other beans of choice- drained
1 teaspoon grated ginger
Water, chicken or vegetable stock to cover broccoli
salt or soy sauce to taste
shredded cheddar cheese or plain yogurt
Place cut broccoli and ginger into your pot with just enough water/stock to cover
Bring to the boil, lower to simmer and add beans
Simmer together until broccoli is soft. Add soy sauce, stir and top with shredded cheese or yogurt
Green Velvet Soup
2 T butter, ghee or olive oil
1 onion chopped
2 garlic cloves sliced
1 potato or 1 zucchini or 1 C broccoli chopped
5 Cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 large bunch kale + 2 bunches parsley washed and cut
(you can use any greens you want here including more broccoli)
Salt and pepper to taste
Dollop of Yogurt or crème fresh for each bowl
Chopped scallions for garnish
1. In a large pot, saute onion and garlic 10 minutes.
2. Add zucchini or broccoli and sauté 10 minutes.
3. Add greens (except parsley) and broth to cover below the surface of greens, and bring to a boil.
4. Simmer until potato/hard veggies are tender (15 min), then stir in parsley- simmer 5 minutes.
5. Puree mixture with a hand blender, or in batches in blender until very smooth.
6. Season with salt/pepper and garnish with yogurt or crème freche and scallions.