Apple Apricot Pudding with Vanilla Cashew Cream
This is a beautiful dessert that is delicious and easy on the blood sugar. It’s very rich so a small amount is very satisfying. It’s also a great way to use the apples and pears that aren’t as firm as they once were.
Timesaver: No need to peel fruit
Makes 4-5 generous servings
Prep time 10 minutes
Cook/Active time 20 minutes
Ingredients for Compote
2 pears sliced
1 apple sliced
1 Cup of dried, unsulphured apricots
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Ingredients for Cashew Cream
1 1/2 Cups of raw cashews
5 medjool dates, pitted
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Soak cashews (and dates if using) in a bowl covered with warm water for 20 minutes. Proceed to making pudding
2. Pudding: Combine all fruit with just enough water to barely cover in a pot. Bring to a boil, and then lower to simmer. Add cinnamon, and cook until soft (about ten minutes.)
3. Pour off the liquid and SAVE. Carefully scoop the softened fruit into a blender or alternatively, use a hand blender right in the pot- with a tiny bit of juice. Purée until soft, adding in more liquid as needed to help the blender puree. You’re looking for a pudding consistency. Save the sweet cooking water to blend with cashews if needed.
3. Drain cashews and place in high speed blender with soaked dates, vanilla and salt. Add 1/2 Cup of water or fruit cooking nectar and blend until velvety smooth. You’ll need to stop, scrape sides and possibly add more liquid in small amounts as needed to help with blending. The smooth velvety texture of this cream is what makes it so incredible, so keep blending.
4. In a pretty glass, layer cream and pudding, ending with cream on top. Add a dash of cinnamon and enjoy!